Donnybook Presbytery, Parochial Houses
Deaton Lysaght Architects were appointed by the Parish of Donnybrook to update and refurbish the presbytery, parochial house and old school building associated with Donnybrook Church. The Church is a protected structure, but the houses are not. The need for accommodation has changed since the church was built in 1863.
Accommodation for the parish priest and one visiting priest is all that is required. It is proposed that a new parish centre, linked to the parochial house, would facilitate the provision of pastoral facilities “under one roof” which would ensure the continuing use of the houses contributing to their long-term conservation.
The presbytery is a red brick three-bay two-storey over semi-basement semi-detached building with the adjacent priest’s residence. The semi-basement level has a stone façade with red-brick above this to the upper ground floor and first floor level. Dark grey brick is used as a decorative feature around the windows and to give variety to the front façade. The painted timber panelled front door is at upper ground floor level. Centrally positioned granite entrance steps lead up to the front door. These are flanked on either side by a granite upstand, and painted cast iron railings.
The Church Bell also needed some conservation. A fine example of the Murphy/Byrne foundry of James Street, it was cast in 1866 and measures 136cm across. It has a fine clear and rich tone, characteristic of many bells of its kind.